Skip to Main Content



If a family is interested in transferring their voucher to the Greenville Housing Authority (TGHA), they must first contact their Initial Housing Authority (IHA) and request to port. The Greenville Housing Authority jurisdiction covers Greenville County with the exception of the City of Greer limits.

Completed Portability Packets can be sent to:

The Greenville Housing Authority
122 Edinburgh Court
Greenville, SC 29607

Attn: Portability
Phone: 864-467-4250
Fax: 864-467-2613 (preferred method)

Once the completed portability packet is received from the Initial Housing Authority, the family will be mailed a packet to complete and return to TGHA with all requested documentation. Once completed packet and all documentation is received, a voucher briefing date will be scheduled and letter mailed to the family. The family must attend a briefing class in Greenville to receive a voucher. Should the family move from their currently assisted unit, they will need to contact TGHA and fill out appropriate paperwork to update their contact information. TGHA must have the following for all household members:

  • Copies of Birth Certificates
  • Copies of Social Security Cards
  • Copies of Driver’s License/picture ID for anyone 18 and older in the household

The Receiving Housing Authority (RHA), TGHA, abides by the issue and expiration dates of the voucher that was issued by the family’s Initial Housing Authority. TGHA will automatically extend the expiration date of the voucher an additional 30 days in accordance with HUD portability policies. Please use voucher time wisely and be aware of the expiration date. The family will need to contact their Initial Housing Authority (IHA) to request any additional extensions on their voucher and the IHA will need to send TGHA the updated paperwork. If there are any special needs, the family may request a reasonable accommodation. Please be sure to inform TGHA, in writing, if you move from your current unit in your leased jurisdiction and provide current mailing information.

TGHA is not responsible for any rental assistance until the unit has passed inspection and the Dwelling Lease and Housing Assistance Payment Contract have been executed.



If a family is interested in porting their voucher to another jurisdiction, they must submit their request for portability in writing at the time of their annual re-certification. When a family requests portability, the location where they intend to port must be identified in the request and a 30 day notice to vacate will need to be submitted. TGHA will contact the receiving PHA in that jurisdiction and advise them of the family’s intent and to determine if the receiving PHA is administering or absorbing portable vouchers. Once response is received, TGHA will determine if the portable voucher will be issued. Portability will only be approved if the receiving PHA is absorbing the portable voucher or if the payment standard is less than the payment standard of TGHA for the voucher size. If the portability is approved, a voucher and corresponding portability documents will be issued to the family. The family’s portability packet will then be sent to the receiving PHA. The family is responsible for contacting the receiving PHA regarding their portability once paperwork has been sent. The family must comply with the receiving PHA’s procedures for portability. Please use voucher time wisely and be aware of the expiration date.

Applicants must reside within the jurisdiction of TGHA for a period of one year prior to exercising portability options.

TGHA will not permit families to exercise portability if there exists ground to deny a move because of the family’s action or failure to act including violations of family obligations under their Housing Choice Voucher; the family owes money to TGHA; or the family has vacated the assisted unit in violation of the lease agreement.